In 1833 the Sheffield Dispensary (later the Royal Hospital) was established on West Street initially providing just outpatient care, including midwifery. It later moved to purpose-built accommodation nearby with facilities for inpatients and stopped accepting maternity cases once Jessops was established on Figtree Lane in 1864. The Sheffield Dispensary and the older Royal Infirmary (established in 1792 as Sheffield General Infirmary) worked with the Jessop to raise funds through individual subscriptions and local firms and workmen’s organisations. Despite the flow of subscriptions, new fund-raising ideas were always being sought and in 1867 the Hospital Sunday Fund was created. The Women’s Hospital joined forces with the Royal Infirmary and the Royal to solicit collections from all the churches in the town, This was done once a year, and the money raised was shared out in proportion to annual expenditure of each hospital. The Women’s Hospital being the smallest and newest received least. It did better than the Children’s hospital however which was never even invited to join the scheme. By 1890 the Sunday Fund was raising £298 per year. This equates to £40,000.00 in 2020.
Ref. Born in Sheffield by Helen Mathers and Tania McIntosh published 2000 by arrangement with Wharncliffe Books